Ready to begin your career in insurance?
PIA of Kentucky has partnered with Kaplan to provide members with discounted prelicensing education. Master the material for the state insurance licensing exam with innovative study tools and extensive course options.
Visit our member's only portal, choose your state and line of authority to see already discounted options. You'll also have access to the Kaplan Student Center, with a variety of resources to provide a sneak peek into the materials offered and tips to help you study more effectively.
Kaplan PIAK Members Prelicensing Portal
Steps to Get Your License
1. Check your state's exact requirements.
2. Sign up for an approved prelicensing course.
3. Background check/fingerprints.
4. Schedule your exam.
5. Register with the state/apply for your license.
Kentucky Licensing State Requirements
Kentucky Department of Insurance
Agent Licensing Division
Exam Provider: Kentucky Department of Insurance
- For licensing and exam information go to the Kentucky Department of Insurance website at http://insurance.ky.gov.
- To schedule an examination online, go to the Kentucky Department of Insurance website and click on “eServices” in the upper right-hand corner. This will allow you to set up the necessary account for exam scheduling.
- Must apply for license prior to sitting for state exam.
There is no limit for the number of times an applicant may retake an examination.
The insurance application remains valid for 120 days, and upon payment of an examination retake fee, the applicant may reschedule and complete an examination an unlimited number of times within the 120-day period.
Insurance applicants may monitor their status, and schedule / reschedule examinations through the Kentucky Department of Insurance at https://insurance.ky.gov/eservices/default.aspx.
Prelicensing Education Hour Requirements
- Life - 20 Hours
- Health - 20 Hours
- Property - 20 Hours
- Casualty - 20 Hours
- Personal Lines - 20 Hours
Acceptable Methods of Education
* Proctor requirements explained in “Online Course Requirements” below also apply to self-study courses.
Online Course Requirements
- Time Tracking: Kentucky requires that your online study time be tracked. In order to successfully complete the course, you must complete the required number of hours while studying in the Course Contents Units of the online course. Your online course tracker will be displayed in the upper right hand corner of your page so that you can verify the time spent in the course is being tracked.
- Forced progression: This requires the user to successfully complete each page of the online course before being allowed to proceed to the next.
- Proctor: In order for a certificate of completion to be earned and issued, the certification exam for self-study courses must be monitored by a disinterested third party (someone other than a relative, friend, or business associate).
Certificate of Completion Requirements
- Applicants submit their certification of completion with their license application.
- Certificates of Prelicensing Course Completion are valid for one year from the course completion date.
Exam and/or Prelicensing Education Exemptions
Applicants who hold one or more of the following designations, certifications, or degree do not have to satisfy the prelicensing education requirements for the indicated line of authority:
- Life - CLU®, CEBS, ChFCÂ®, CFP®, FLMI, CIC
- Health - RHU, CEBS, REBC, HIA, CIC
- Property, Casualty, and Personal Lines - CPCU®, CIC, AAI, ARM
- All Lines - An insurance degree from an accredited college or university
This information pertains to resident license applicants. For additional information for resident licensing, or for nonresident license information, please refer to the Kentucky Department of Insurance website at http://doi.ppr.ky.gov.
This information is based on state laws and regulations and is subject to change. Kaplan Financial Education and PIA of Kentucky make every effort to make sure this information is current and accurate, however, neither Kaplan Financial Education or PIA of Kentucky is engaged in rendering legal or professional advice and shall not be held responsible for inaccuracies contained herein.